Sunday, September 29, 2013

Appreciating Greatness

Being a sports fan, I love watching greatness. I have my favorite teams, but I can still applaud when someone on another team does something worth my appreciation. I can appreciate greatness even when it comes from an arch rival, or even when it means my team loses a championship game. If the better team wins, I can tip my cap. An example of this is my appreciation for a great former pitcher of the Boston Red Sox, Pedro Martinez. This past week, I was able to appreciate the end of a great player that has played for my favorite team for the past 18 years. You might have heard of him. His name is Mariano Rivera.

Mariano Rivera will be the last player to ever wear the number 42, retired by all of baseball as a tribute to the late Jackie Robinson. At the age of 43 when most players have long since retired, Rivera was still one of the best, if not the best, at his position. In my mind, Rivera is one of the best players ever to play the game. His dominance and longevity are unlike any other that I have seen.

One more thing that makes me appreciate a great player on any team is knowing that the player is also a great person. Rivera had declared this was going to be his final season before it began. During the year, he went out of his way to meet with fans from every city to which the team traveled. He would just sit in a room and talk to them. He treated everyone the same way, with respect.

I had my six year old son watch Rivera’s last game with me. He loves baseball and I thought he should be able to tell his friends that he saw the final pitch by the absolute best relief pitcher ever to play the game. It was wonderful to see the appreciation of all the fans demonstrated for such a wonderful human being. After collecting a parting gift from every team throughout the year, he received one last gift from the fans at Yankees stadium. They cheered until he left the field after the game.

Thanks for the greatness 42. A great player and a great person.

Enjoy Life.

Coach Randal Suozzo


picture credit: www.theshadowleague.com

No comments:

Post a Comment