Thursday, August 1, 2013

Happy Birthday!

“Seize the day, for today’s tomorrow will soon be yesterday.” Anonymous

I seized the day today. The best I could at least. I woke up early to work out, treating my body the way someone should when they want to live for a century. After a shower (who doesn’t like showers? – my wife would take one for hours if she could) I had breakfast with my two little miracles before heading to work. Normally I would be on vacation for my birthday, but this year I made accommodations with our vacation partners and moved it back two weeks. So I had to work. That was the least favorite part of my day, but I made the most of it. My wife helped too. I talked to her probably a half dozen times. Each time she would lead with “Hey birthday boy!” Sure, it’s kinda corny, but it makes one feel good about one’s self. It made me feel special. It should because it’s my special day! What if I were never born? Never being born is something I normally don’t think about, but in this case I am happy to touch upon it because even though I hate the thought, it makes me want to do more for others. To touch more lives. It motivates me to do more with the gift I have been given. The gift to live.

Maybe I should pretend it is my birthday more often. I was happy all day. I wanted to do more for others. I wanted to make my life more impactful. I don’t see anything wrong with any of that.

I will hold on to that thought, but back to MY day! I went for a walk at lunch time to get a treat. My coworker came with me and bought me my peanut butter brownie. That made me smile. When I got home from work, I got my family in the car and went to have dinner with my extended family. We had ravioli and meatballs with my two brothers and their families and my parents. It can be chaos amongst 17 people, 9 of which are spread between the ages of 0-13 years old, but it’s nice to be with family. I get to end my day by putting my kids to bed and sitting with my bride.

I’m not a greedy man. I don’t want for much. I have a happy and healthy family who I love to spend time with. It makes my every day worth more than yesterday. And I have a bunch of yesterdays that I can smile about too! So as today ends, I look forward to tomorrow. It may not be my birthday anymore, but that doesn’t mean I can’t live with a smile and try to make others smile while I’m at it.

Enjoy Life.

Coach Randal Suozzo, CPC, ELI-MP

No comments:

Post a Comment