Sunday, August 18, 2013

Spartan Race Completed

I finished the Spartan Race with a time of 57 minutes and change, my goal of completing it in under an hour accomplished. My friend, Rebecca, finished in 48 minutes and change. My second goal was not accomplished.


The SMART goals (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Reasonable, Time oriented):
1. Finish the race in under an hour.
2. Finish alongside Rebecca.

I let go of my second goal less than a mile into the race when we were running up an incline and I could not keep pace. Rebecca turned out to be in much better shape than I suspected. She was beyond impressive really, finishing 30th overall and 1st among females. Amazing.

I was happy to reach my first goal. Imagine if I had just missed my goal and instead finished in, say 62 minutes? I would have a whole different perspective, even though my experience would essentially be the same. Instead of being happy with the results, I would be incredibly motivated to take on the course again next year. Why? It is just the type of person I am. I am the type of person who loves the challenge of success. I would need to race again to achieve that goal. This is why I like to set a second goal that is much more difficult to obtain so it creates my next challenge.

Setting goals are important, but more important is setting goals that are in line with the type of person you are. Set "reasonable" goals and if you are motivated by success, then you can build upon that success by setting new SMART goals. (See goal number 1). If you are the type of person who excels against adversity, then maybe you should have certain goals that are less "Attainable" - set just out of reach so that you never stop improving yourself in order to get there. (See goal number 2). I knew that I am a person who appreciates the extreme challenge which is why I set two goals instead of one. The first to reach and the second to keep me motivated beyond the race. I know if Rebecca wants to race again next year that I will be motivated to train harder and reach that second goal I had for myself this year.

My first goal was SMART. My second goal was smart, without the acronym. It may not have been very attainable, but it turns out to be very motivating.

If you are reading this Rebecca, do you think you could give me another chance to meet my second goal?

Set goals. Stay motivated. Enjoy Life.

Coach Randal Suozzo, CPC, ELI-MP

No comments:

Post a Comment