Monday, September 3, 2018

Before you speak...

"Before you speak, let your words pass through three gates: Is it true? Is it necessary? Is it kind?" ~unknown

I grew up the youngest of three children and always found myself the listener around the dinner table. It was tough to get a word in on the conversation, so I learned how to listen and think instead of speak. It is a valuable tool that many people lack.

Being an introvert gives me a head start on this counsel. I have also previously discussed the importance and value of truth. The second gate though, is it necessary, is a little more difficult to determine since it is the most arbitrary. It leaves a lot of room for introverts and extroverts to decide who they are going to be. This is good. One should always be true to oneself. 

The third gate is something that I like to think I have always done well, but I surely have improved on this after meeting my wife almost 20 years ago. She has taught me kindness to others even in the face of adversity. Something that is never easy to do, but freeing when accomplished. Kindness is also something we teach our children. In fact, my kid's school asks for quotes of kindness at the beginning of each year to post around the hallways for every kid to read. I don't know if kindness wasn't very high on the priority list of teachings for my generation and my parent's generation, or if we as adults have forgotten the lessons, but I find it amazing how often adults choose not to be kind. Whether it is through actions or words, this is something I feel we need to practice as much as we preach. Not only do we need to teach the younger generation, but we also need to teach ourselves. 

I enjoy the quote because it reminds me that truth and kindness are powerful. They come into the world through our choosing, and leave it a better place. 

Enjoy Life.

Coach Randal Suozzo, CPC, ELI-MP

No comments:

Post a Comment